Greater Sudbury Hydro services the needs of 48,000 customers within the City of Greater Sudbury and within the Municipality of West Nipissing. From the original steam-powered plant, we have moved to 30 modern substations controlled by the latest in computerized equipment. This system supplies reliable electricity to residential and commercial customers, insuring that the community has the electrical infrastructure to grow and prosper.
- We own and maintain the distribution system of power lines that deliver electricity as lower voltage to your home or business.
- We connect your home or business to electrical power and maintain that connection, safely and reliably.
- We restore your power in case of outages or emergencies.
- We read your meter and calculate your charges for billing purposes.
- We maintain a current and historical record of your account, including your consumption.
- We trim trees around our lines, towers and buildings, as well as remove standing water, grass, garbage or debris on our rights of way (ROW) and easements.
- We operate and maintain the city's street lights.
The City of Greater Sudbury owns the street lighting system within the boundaries of the City of Greater Sudbury; however, Greater Sudbury Hydro performs the repairs to the street lights.
The Municipality of West Nipissing owns the street lighting system within the boundaries of the Municipality of West Nipissing; however, Greater Sudbury Hydro performs the repairs to the street lights.
To speed the process and to make it easier to locate any street lights needing repair, Greater Sudbury Hydro asks citizens reporting street lights out to please provide the number of the pole or the municipal address where the light is located.
Greater Sudbury Hydro will respond to street light outages within ten working days, but there will be the occasional circumstance that will require more time to effect a repair.
For street lights in Greater Sudbury, Please call Sudbury Hydro at 675.7536 and ask for extension 2206 to report a street light outage or email email@example.com.
For street lights in the Municipality of West Nipissing, please call Sudbury Hydro at 753.2341 and ask for extension 2206 to report a street light outage or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To maintain reliability of our distribution system and for public safety, Greater Sudbury Hydro trims trees which may contact our lines and cause power interruptions.
Trimming a tree on your property? If it is close to the hydro line, give us a call at 675.7536 ext. 2206 before trimming it yourself and a representative will meet with you to make sure it is safe to do so. If not, crews will be dispatched to clear it for you.
Taking a tree down on your property? If it is within 10’ of the hydro line, give us a call at 675.7536 ext. 2220 before removing it and a representative will meet with you to see if our crews should top the tree for you. Then, you may cut the remainder of the tree and dispose of it.